Take our Self-Assessment
The hospital is often a fast-paced and emotionally charged environment. The families we serve are likely in a time of great stress and uncertainty and require the support of individuals who have both the good intentions and adequate preparation to be able to help them. We ask that you take the time to ask yourself the following questions to determine the best fit for your service.
Section One (yes or no)
- I have time available.
- I would like to give back.
- I have given careful consideration to my schedule and can firmly commit to volunteering.
- I understand that volunteering is as important as a work commitment.
- I am able to treat my volunteer time with the same respect as I would my work time.
- I am aware that the children I see in the hospital may be in pain, severely sick, or injured.
- I am comfortable working with children who may be experiencing physical or emotional discomfort.
- I am comfortable taking direction from the medical staff with whom I work.
- I am interested in working in the medical field and hope to gain experience to make sure the hospital is the best fit for me.
- I enjoy a changing environment and a variety of assignments based on needs.
- I am comfortable going through a preparation process, including interviews, medical check-ups, orientations, and trainings.
Section Two (yes or no)
- I am hoping my volunteer experience will lead to a job or internship.
- I need to fill my time.
- I like to be busy.
- I hope to use this opportunity to meet other like-minded people and expand my social circle.
- I hope to use my volunteer experience as a way to work through the loss of a loved one.
- My schedule is transitioning, but I want to use the time I have to be helpful.
- Even though I may be concerned about committing to a set time to volunteer, it is important to me to volunteer at Rady Children’s Hospital.
Do more responses come from Section One or Section Two?
Most responses from Section One:
Become a hospital volunteer
If most of your responses are from Section One, your best fit may be as a hospital volunteer.
Most responses from Section Two:
Other ways to volunteer
If your responses are mostly in Section Two, you may wish to consider joining an Auxiliary Unit or volunteering for a special event.
Thank you for taking the time to complete our volunteer assessment. We look forward to welcoming you to Team Rady soon.